Monday, June 23, 2014

Just An Ordinary Tent, Right? Feed the Imagination in Children.




Looks like nothing more than a simple tent in the back yard, right? Well, this is no ordinary tent. A few days ago, I did set it up in the back yard, but first let me tell you a little more about this tent.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a feature film in New Guinea. We moved right out into the jungle and set up our campsite next to the people living along the Sepik River...big mistake! We should have paid more attention to the fact that all the village people built their houses high up on stilts.

Then the rains came late in the middle of our first night.
Next morning, here's what my tent looked like.


So we did what the locals do. We put all of our tents on stilts, too. 

Much smarter idea.

Fast forward to the backyard tent again. I was taking care of my nearly two year-old granddaughter, Olivia. I'd promised her a ten all week. So I went to the basement, found my tent, and set it up with pads, a pillow chair for each of us, and a few other things I knew she'd like. All I can say is, she liked it!

Notice we included a bunch of books out there, too. Why do I tell you this? There's sill a lot of summer left in front of us. And adventure doesn't necessarily have to mean a trip someplace like New Guinea. You can provide your own adventure, right in your back yard. Don't have a real tent? Just put some old sheets together over a rope tied between two trees or something like that. And make sure your tent adventure includes lots of books, too. After all, some of the greatest adventures can be found in books.

: ))



Amazon Author Page http://www.amazon.com/Max-Elliot-Anderson/e/B002BLP3EE




1 comment:

Clipping Solutions said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.