Thursday, October 02, 2008

Where do you get your ideas?


A question I often hear is, “Where do ideas come from for your books for boys?”

For me, ideas come from current events, technology developments, my own childhood, reading the newspaper or magazines, the Internet, and my experiences from years of film, television, video, and TV commercial productions.

The black and white picture here, is from a dramatic film that I shot, many years ago, in Wyoming. We spent a few weeks in and around a gigantic ranch. As I prepared to write BIG RIG RUSTLERS, it was those images and impressions that began to flood my mind.

Though my book, and the film have completely different stories and characters, it was the setting that provided the canvas in my mind.

BIG RIG RUSTLERS is a modern day western. Todd and Amanda live with their parents in a Midwestern city. The children are invited to visit their uncle, aunt, and cousin Drew, on their Wyoming ranch over spring break. Todd learns, in a unique way, why stealing is wrong. He decides to choose a new path for his life because of his uncle’s example. A band of high-tech cattle rustlers are caught, revealing that Todd was also wrong about Travis, a shadowy character.


Read about the round up, rattlesnake, and rustlers.

No comments: