Monday, August 29, 2011

The Difference Between Face-to-Face and Online


Earlier this year, I had an experience that caused me to stop, think, and wonder. That’s because for nearly 10 years, I’ve been chugging along, writing action-adventures and mysteries for kids between 8 – 13. What happened this summer was that one of my publishers invited me to a booksellers convention to sit in their booth and sign some of my books. This gave me an opportunity to talk to every person as I signed their book.
As each person approached the table, I said, “I write adventures and mysteries for readers eight to thirteen, especially boys, but girls enjoy reading them just as much.” When I said that, their eyes widened, their mouth opened, and, with a few variations, I heard the following. “Great! That’s exactly what we need right now…more good books for boys.”
I had read several articles online that said the same thing. Librarians, teachers, and parents seemed to be crying out for more good books for boys.

Part of what I do, as an author for children, is to speak in schools. In those settings, there is an almost immediate reaction, and several students want to buy one or more of my books. In other settings, outside of schools, when parents or grandparents hear me talk about my books, they want to buy them, too.
Then we come to the Internet. This blog is often #1 on Google when searching the subject Books For Boys. But the Internet is, by its very nature, an impersonal place where you can’t hear or see the person you’re “talking” to. And as I have been active in online promotion, it doesn’t have the same spark as a face-to-face conversation.
All I can say is this. Parents, teachers, and grandparents have a very positive reaction to my books. I can’t tell you how many have written to say what a difference one or more of my books has had on a child in their family or circle of friends. Kids tell me that reading one of my books is like being in an exciting movie.

I grew up hating to read. My entire life, since shooting my first film at the age of 16, has been involved in visual communication. The same heart-pounding action and adventure from my film experience finds its way onto the pages of my books.
So I invite you to try one for yourself. Feel free to leave a comment here, or to email me privately at mander8813@aol.com  I respond to all questions and comments personally.


Thank you,
Max Elliot Anderson


These links will give you more information


My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Maxbooks100#p/u


When the Lights Go Out
http://max-whenlightsgoout.blogspot.com/  


Author Web Site
http://www.maxbooks.9k.com/index_1.html



Barney and the Runaway 0984559841

When the Lights Go Out 1936695472

Newspaper Caper 193669526X

North Woods Poachers 1936695057

Lost Island Smugglers 1935600028

Captain Jack's Treasure 1935600141

No comments: