Sunday, September 02, 2007

What I think about books for boys is not important...


It’s true that I chose to write books for boys. This has proven to be a much more difficult pathway to the marketplace than I had anticipated. That’s primarily because the market favors books for girls…at the moment that is.


So, when readers, and their parents, write to tell me how my books have affected members of their families, it gives me hope for a broader market to emerge in the future.


A father wrote to tell me how his son had stayed up, well after lights out, to finish one of my books. It was one of those flashlights under the blanket reports. His son just couldn’t wait to see how the book, with its cliffhanger chapter endings, would finally end. This dad asked me, “How do you discipline something like that?” Good question.


But the following is something I read a couple of days ago. It comes from the August 9 blog entry by Chris Ward. Her blog is located at http://www.parentingisntforpansies.blogspot.com/


“In the past few years the boys and I have discovered a wonderful way to pass a few hours. We grab a new book and sit down for a good ol' family read aloud event. Sometimes we pop popcorn, sometimes we sit around the living room or family room, and sometimes we climb on our bed, formally known as 'The People Magnet'. But we always do it together and we always enjoy it…


“…Others want to encourage us to read series like the 'Little House' books, but the boys just aren't that interested. *sigh* Perhaps I can enjoy them again with Laura! Meanwhile, we are always on the look out for good books.


“One series I've had my eye out for have been the books for boys written by Max Elliot Anderson. I've looked for them everywhere hoping to snag some that were within my budget. After all, books written for boys in that critical 8 - 12 or 13 age range are hard to come by. I'd heard about them from the author himself and have read a few reviews so they were on the top of my list. I even looked for them at the library and, while they said they would be ordered, didn't ever find them available. So I asked the library to order them. Several times. Finally, last week, we got a few with more to come soon. I love our library!


“In our very unbiased opinion, these books are fun! Just plain good ol' fun reads. The boys in these books are real 12 year olds and they have a good time together. And they choose to do what is right, not what is easiest. My boys can't get enough. And they can't listen quietly either. If we decide to read them after Laura has gone to bed, we must either read in the living room or the basement - as far away from her room as we can get. The rolling laughter that comes during each read, and the discussions about what happened and how it might have come out differently if Tom, Jimmy, Eddy, Scott, Amanda, Todd and Matt had chosen to not do the right thing bring up lots of opportunity for them to repeat over and over again their favorite lines. (Note: No longer can you ask in our house 'what is it about?' when referring to a book without getting an smart aleck answer quoting the page length instead of the content. LOL) We can't wait to get the rest and meet more fun tweeners. I'm sure they'll be just as fun as the first few.


“So, we're always on the lookout for good books for older boys. If you know of any, please feel free to suggest them. I'll periodically let you know what we've been reading and how we like them. Meanwhile, I think I'll read ahead a few pages to see what happens next in "The Newspaper Caper". Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell the boys!!!"


Thank you, Chris, for such a wonderful account of one family where my Christian, action-adventures & mysteries, written especially for boys, are having such a positive impact.



Nearly 50 pages of reviews http://www.maxbookreviews.blogspot.com/


posted by max @ 9:25 AM 0 comments

No comments: