Thursday, January 15, 2009

Winter – I wonder About My Sanity – Wonderland

For those who live in warmer climates, I thought I’d give you a glimpse of winter in Illinois this season. When I woke up this morning it was -15 and the forecast for tomorrow is for -25. I understand that conditions are even worse in Minnesota.

Every few minutes I can hear a loud crack up on the roof, much like the sound of cracking ice on a great, frozen lake.

I’ve shoveled more “global warming” this winter than in the first two years we lived here, having moved to Rockford a little over 30 years ago, into a couple of the worst winters in years.

Our daughter is the smart one. She went to school at Auburn University, in Alabama, and accepted a teaching job in the Orlando area, although the temps down there are expected to be in the 30’s.

Our cat, Aubey, named after the mascot at Auburn, asked to go out this morning. Once she hit that Arctic air, she spun right around and darted back inside, choosing to use the litter in the basement instead.

But it’s our son and his wife I feel for the most this morning. They just returned to their home in Chicago, from a two-week missions trip to India, where the average temp each day was in the 80’s.

My son and I are hoping for a break in mid-February when we make our annual trip to the Daytona 500. With a year like this, I may not come back : ))

I hope you’ll post a comment about conditions at your house today.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that once you get used to our weather in the winters, your mind and body put on the brakes at thoughts of living anywhere else (except in the summer). We're to be 71 and 72 all week for daytime temps. and 47 at night.

From the heart of the Arizona desert, Glenda Schoonmaker www.wordwardrobe.com

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Ah, yes. I live in Jenison, Michigan so I know exactly what you're talking about. Every year, my husband declares that we're moving but here we still are. LOL. Personally, I love the snow (til about February) but the cold I can definitely do without. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

-5F in NE Indiana today. I love this kind of weather -- the kind that snows you in and commands you to snuggle up in front of a fire with hot cocoa and BOOKS. I have always enjoyed the snow and especially the storms that make us slow down a little and hibernate like a bear. Delicious.

Kim Smith said...

Cold, Max. Just brrr... no snow though, thankfully.

James D. Maxon said...

Yep, I'm in Minnesota, and it is very cold here. The worst part of this winter is the drive to and from work. Traffic is so bad that it's taken me two hours to make a 15min trip.

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

I love snow as long as I don't have to go out in it.

Here in Southern Oregon we are blessed with an unending fog that keeps things cold and damp and dreary. I know I won't get any sympathy from this group but that's how it is.

bondgirl said...

We thought we were safe in Tampa! Brrrrr...54 at 1pm, 30's at night.

Four boys here. The first is an avid reader like his mom, and we're working on the next three. Love the blog!

www.stinkerpot.com

Lefty Sloane said...

I don't mind the cold as long as there's no wind, and it's above zero (it was about 2 degrees this morning) and I don't get snow on my ankles, wrists or neck. I don't mind powder snow at all. We got about 7 inches acording to the benches on our patio. We live in just north of Columbus in Ohio. The sun keeps coming out and offering hope. At least it keeps the windshield clear. I sure do miss Florida on days like this...

Anonymous said...

So much for global warming!
I'm a Jersey girl and it's darn cold here this morning. We're in the depths of winter. It's beautiful but I mostly appreciate it indoors.

Jacqueline Seewald
THE INFERNO COLLECTION
coming in February: THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star/Gale

Bible Devotion Fairy said...

We, 18 months ago, moved north and have had no school for the past two days because the windchill is -45. The news guys are throwing boiling water into the air to make snow and blowing bubbles that shatter - crazy! I wish I had been part of the ACFW before we moved (I lived in Durand, IL) so we could have connected!!

Blessings, Becky