Friday, February 02, 2007

Why My Books Are Working With Boys


One of the most rewarding aspects of publishing books for kids, is when I hear back from a reader, parent, or teacher. Here’s a classic from the parent of a reluctant boy reader. This mother recounted what happened when her son began reading LEGEND OF THE WHITE WOLF.

She said, “I was sitting in the family room the other day when my very reluctant reader son came storming into the room. He had been reading your book, LEGEND OF THE WHITE WOLF. He walked up to where I was sitting, and slammed the book onto the coffee table. ‘I know what that guy is trying to do,’ he fumed.”

“Who?”

“The guy who wrote that book,” he pointed in defiance to the book on the table. “I know what he’s doing.”

“What?”

“He’s trying to get me to read the next chapter.”

“What do you mean?”

“’Well look.’ He picked up the book and turned to the end of the chapter he had just finished. ‘Listen.’”

“Then he read the cliffhanger ending to that chapter, slapped the book closed, and said, ‘See, he’s just trying to make me read the next chapter!’ Then he stomped off to his room and did exactly that.”

She went on to tell me that whatever I was doing, to please continue, because it was working with her boy.

My books are fast-paced. They have shorter sentences, and I don’t spend a lot of time on details. The books are filled with humor, suspense, and heart-pounding action. These are reasons why kids tell me that reading one of my books is like being in an exciting or scary movie.

No comments: