Tuesday, September 09, 2008

How my work in dramatic films has had an effect on my books for boys.


Before videocassettes, and now DVDs, were available, people either went to the theatre, or watched television in order to see films. A few producers made 16mm films for rental to churches. I worked for two companies that did that.

During my years in production, I learned that girls would watch films about boys’ adventures, but boys would not watch a girl’s story. That is why I have charted a course to write books for boys first. It is because I know that girls will also read books for boys and enjoy the stories.
To the left are pictures from two of those films, THE GREAT BANANA PIE CAPER and THE MYSTERY OF WILLOUGHBY CASTLE.

The more information I read, and through my ongoing research, I find that there continues to be an outcry from teachers and parents for more books for boys. Publishers are still hesitant to take the plunge into releasing books for boys, but I believe it is going to change.

I have 28 additional manuscripts that are ready to go. These books for boys are the same kinds of exciting action-adventures and mysteries just like those that have already been published.

If you are in a position to do so, I hope you will let others know how important you believe books for boys are.

No comments: