Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Daytona 500 - 2009


I’m just back from the Daytona 500. My son, an attorney in Chicago, and I have attended the race for the past several years. He flies in from Chicago, and I travel from Rockford. This year, my older sister joined us from Indiana. It’s nice because my daughter lives in the Orlando area where she teaches 2nd grade in a public school. So we have an opportunity to see her at the same time.

This year we had the best seats ever. We were near turn 1, in the 43rd row, which turned out to be the top row of our section. It had regular chairs instead of the bench seats of years past. We paid a little more, but it was worth it. From our seats, we were able to see the entire 2 ½ mile track for the first time. We also could watch the pit activity.

My son roots for Dale Earnhardt Jr., and I always cheer for Jeff Gordon. Both of our drivers were able to lead the race. But the event was shortened, by nearly 50 laps, because of rain.

In spite of that, we had a great time.

On the next day, we went to the Universal Studios theme park. In each of the rides, only half was working. Even though the crowds were not large, the wait was terrible, especially for the Mummy which took well over 2 hours…ugh!

We’re already making plans for the 52nd running of the Daytona 500 next year.

Max

No comments: