Monday, August 24, 2009

Driving, Taking a Shower, or Mowing the Grass


Several months ago, I temporarily stopped writing book-length manuscripts, in order to build my platform as an author, and because I had already completed a number of action-adventure & mystery manuscripts (28 yet to be published).

It's interesting what happened next. While I was writing on a regular basis, ideas seemed to invade my mind constantly. This always happened while driving, taking a shower, or mowing the grass. After I curtailed my writing schedule, the ideas also dropped off. I should say that I also have at least 12 fully developed ideas for additional adventures & mysteries. But what has been happening lately, is that concepts for picture books have begun their invasion.

At the present time, two manuscripts from these ideas have been completed. Then, as I was mowing my grass on Saturday, the concept for a third picture book swooped down from out of nowhere. It was funny to listen later to my dictation on a small recorder that I use in these instances. In the distance, you can hear the lawn mower chugging outside while I spoke into the recorder and breathed like an Olympic distance runner.

What I take away from this experience is awe and appreciation for the creative process, especially when we recognize that it has little to do with us.

1 comment:

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Max

I have to admit to having times where I ask myself, "Where did that come from?" LOL

Shari
http://sharilyle-soffe.com