Saturday, November 28, 2009

Laughing Turkeys

I thought this was funny.

Nearly every day of the year, several groups of turkeys amble through our front and back yards like clockwork. But yesterday, Thanksgiving, not one bird showed its face.

Then, this morning, the day after Thanksgiving, I heard a bird between my house and the neighbor’s. Now, usually, they come and go, and make no noise. Sometimes, you’ll hear a light, clucking sound. But on this morning, the day AFTER Thanksgiving, I heard what could only be described as a laughing turkey.

I grabbed my camera, went outside, and snapped this picture as the birds walked across the street. To my ear, they were still making that same noise. It sounded like they were laughing as if to say, “Na na na boo boo, we survived Thanksgiving!”

8 comments:

Kristi's Book Nook said...

I absolutely love it!! What a great shot.

Grace said...

What a great picture and I have no doubt they(the turkeys) were laughing at you.

Southern-fried Fiction said...

That deserves a LOL!!

Sharon Kirk Clifton said...

Hilarious, Max! Thanks for the laugh.

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Many wild turkeys roam our area, but I didn't see any thanksgiving day. Maybe they aren't as dumb as people think.

Shari
http://sharilyle-soffe.weebly.com

Unknown said...

Max, Turkeys are smart, of course. They hang around and wait until cars have run over acorns so that they can eat them more easily. That's why turkeys are walking around on roads in the country.

But did you know that a tofurkey is smart also. Just the other day, I saw one walk across a busy road. The traffic ground to a halt and let him cross. I asked him, "You're a tofurkey, why did you cross that busy road?"

"Because I wanted to prove I wasn't a chicken," he said.

Connie Arnold said...

How funny! Thanks for sharing that and the picture, Max!

max said...

Thanks for all the great comments. I've enjoyed them.