Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Smugglers Pie

I’m not exactly sure why, but several of my books make a big deal about various kinds of foods that I like, or that other members of my family enjoy. Out of seven children, I’m the slimmest. You see, I’m one of those people who doesn’t live to eat, but only eats to live. Often when I was more involved in film and video production, my crew members had to remind me it was time to take a lunch break.

When I’m writing, I often include elements from experience. So the following recipe is one that our son especially liked as he grew up. I think it’s still a favorite of his. Coincidentally, it was a favorite of Sam Cooper, too, who is the main character in Lost Island Smugglers…imagine that.


In Lost Island Smugglers, the dessert is described and the recipe is included in the back of the book on page 257. There, it’s called Chocolate Dessert, but I’ve renamed it Smugglers Pie.


If you try this dessert, I’m sure you and your family will enjoy it as much as we do. I hate cream cheese, and can usually detect even the smallest amount in foods. But you don’t taste it at all in this dessert.


Smugglers Pie

1 ½ sticks of butter (softened)
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups chopped pecans


Mix butter, flour, and pecans. Press into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown. Let cool to room temperature.


Mix (8-ounce) cream cheese (softened), 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1 cup Cool Whip and spread over cooled crust


Beat at low speed 2 packages of instant chocolate pudding with 3 cups of milk for 2 minutes and quickly pour over the cream cheese layer. When the pudding is firm, spread the rest of the Cool Whip over the top.

Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours.

Yield: 12 servings - Only 2 or 3 servings if you’re a little piggy : ))

Coming March 1, 2011
Barney and the Runaway

Also in 2011, Watch For

Captain Jack's Treasure
Newspaper Caper
Terror at Wolf Lake
The Secret of Abbott's Cave
Mountain Cabin Mystery
North Woods Poachers
When The Lights Go Out


What are some of your favorite family recipes?

No comments: