Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Naperville, Illinois School Visit

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of an author visit at Calvary Christian School in Naperville, Ilinois.


We started with an assembly of around 100 students where several of my book trailer videos were shown on two large screens while the audio was piped through their great sound system. You can watch the same videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Maxbooks100


Later I went to three different classrooms where writing workshops were conducted. Here’s the material that I cover in the classroom.
Reading Is The Foundation To Learning
 
Mark Twain once said, "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."


It has also been said that a reluctant reader simply hasn’t found the right books yet.


I have come to realize how important reading is to the education process. It is foundational to learning, and is the key to future success in life. Yet I grew up as a reluctant reader.


Now I've joined the battle to help children develop a love for reading.


I'm available for a limited number of school visits in and around the Rockford, Illinois area, and will consider traveling to more distant locations. My program is unique and the responses have been very positive.

My presentation includes props that I use while writing. These are items that help me to visualize the scene better. I also use mood appropriate music and allow the students to stretch their imagination by listening to various pieces. Then I'll read an exciting chapter from one of my books.


For longer programs, I might read a chapter and then ask the students, "What happens next?" They will then write a few paragraphs to continue the story, as they see it. Then I'll read how the story really goes.


I like to stress the fact that each of us is unique. No one sees the world exactly the same as anyone else. Because of this there is lots of room for individual creativity. In literature, this is called voice as students have an opportunity to put down on paper the way they interpret the world around them.


Students also learn how I came to write my books, they see that these books are entertaining, fast-paced, with lots of humor and heart-pounding action. Each book is also educational, without the reader even realizing it.

Most of the books will soon be rated by AR.


If your school is interested in an author visit, please contact me at mander8813@aol.com for details.


After the workshops were finished, students came to a book table where they purchased autographed copies.

No comments: