Sunday, July 29, 2007

If You're Interested In Books For Boys






If you have an interest in books for boys, make sure to get a copy of the August 6, 2007 issue of Time Magazine. It has a cover story, THE MYTH ABOUT BOYS. It contains an article, The Boys Are All Right, by David Von Drehle. He suggests that maybe boys are doing better now because we’re paying more attention to them. And that our worries about them may actually be paying off.

I would expand on this to say that writing action-adventures and mysteries, especially for boys, is also something that will pay off.

About six years ago, I sensed the need for more books for boys. It’s true, as the article points out, that boys are much the same today as they’ve always been. Boys crave adventure, they love a challenge, and they live for excitement. All of these elements, and more, are carefully woven into every book I write for boys.

Since life moves in cycles, I’m looking forward to connecting with publishers who understand this principle and choose to publish the kinds of books that boys will read.

My first 7 books have already provided some of the marketing data that a publisher might need in order to make an informed decision. Nearly 50 pages of, often enthusiastic, reviews are available at http://maxbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The May/June issue of Homeschooling Today Magazine (late, but just out last week) contains a two-page, four-color feature article about my books in which two boys, ages 10 and 12, provide the reviews.

THE DANGEROUS BOOK FOR BOYS has been a best seller for several months. All it tells us is that boys are different and we need to feed that difference. My published books, and the 28 additional completed manuscripts, also feed this difference.

It is critical to understand that boys are consumed today with TV, computers, video games, and other pursuits, because these things reach out and grab their attention. Because of the way they are constructed, my action-adventure & mystery books for boys do the same thing in print. And we all know the incredible value that comes from getting boys to read.

When it comes to reading, boys want something different. My books for boys are intended to provide that difference.

After all…I was a boy once myself. In addition, I grew up hating to read. Now I write books for boys that I would have enjoyed as a boy, and girls love them too.

Author web site http://www.maxbooks.9k.com/Reviews http://maxbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Now, from an author who hated to read...comes books kids hate to put down.

No comments: