Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Daytona 500 - 2011

This past Friday I left the frozen North and made my way toward sunny Florida where our daughter lives. Our son joined us on Saturday as well as my older sister.

We had arrived for the Daytona 500. Weather couldn’t have been better with full sun and temps in the 70s each day.

The crowd was estimated at 200,000 race fans and the pre-race activities are always exciting.














Jeff Gordon is the driver I follow.




This year he was on the pole because of an earlier crash in practice by Dale Earnhardt Jr.



His father, Dale Earnhardt Sr., had lost his life in a crash 10 years ago at Daytona. There’s a nice statue of him at the track and a special race tribute was planned.
The car he drove was a black # 3, so on the third lap of the race, the crowd was instructed to raise 3 fingers as the cars came by.










Jeff Gordon was involved in the largest crash of the day. He managed to come back onto the track but was 30 laps down at the time. So I switched my allegiance to Dale Jr., who did well until a tire went down near the very end of the race.
Sprint Cup Series driver Bayne celebrates in ...
The biggest story of the day surrounded the winner of the race, Trevor Bayne, who just celebrated his 20th birthday. Not only was he the youngest driver to ever win The Daytona 500, it’s the first time he ever ran in it.
I’ve returned again to the frozen North – it snowed overnight –




– as I prepare for the national release of my new book,
Barney and the Runaway. Look for it in stores or online beginning on
Tuesday, March 1.

No comments: